MOTHERHOOD DIARIES | Hello, Please and Thank You
I was grabbing a small tea from the cafeteria at work. I went to the counter (lost in my thoughts) and before I could even grab my wallet, a young man's voice said "small tea with hot milk?".
I looked up startled and noted his warm smile. "You remember!" I queried.
"Of course ma'am. You always say 'hi' and 'thank you'. Haven't seen you in a while. I'm usually in the other building."
Don't get me wrong. This is not an blog about me or patting my own shoulder.
That scenario was, for me, an affirmation that simple manners of "Hello", "Please" and "Thank you" being powerful tools being re-affirmed of their place in this world regardless of what millennium.
For me, I make sure (not always successful but I keep trying) that my children come and greet a person, look them in the eye and say either one of these 3 words..."Hello", "Please" and "Thank You". This etiquette applies between family members as well. They laugh at me for the formality that it implies but I know they will appreciate it later when age and distance comes to play and communication is essential. Don't take anyone for granted.
These 3 words (with eye contact) gives off more meaning than their simple statements. It shows humility, it shows that I "see you" or that I'm paying attention and inevitably I value you.
It is invariably easier for children to say it because they have not developed an ego or mental barrier another person yet. If you don't believe me, you as an adult, I would dare you to find a person you really dislike, look them in the eye and say "Hello". Even the most skilled politician would have his heart skip a beat while he did it and look away very quickly.
For me, I make an extra effort to ensure this etiquette is always extended to those either elder, lonely or providing a service to you (like the coffee counter guy). The sincere love that you receive in return is worth more than a million dollars. One day I hope my children realise that...


Comments
Post a Comment