MOTHERHOOD DIARIES | Mummy Coffee Date at School
Notice received.
Mummy's play date at school.
When is it?
Mid-week,
mid-working day and
scheduled to be in 2
days.
Chances of getting
time off to go?
"I'm flexible with my timings but not a 'social influencer' type
flexible."
I can't blame my
company. If I'm in the middle of a project and if my team mate kept dropping
out in the middle of a project every 2 days, I'm pretty sure the project would
not finish.
With the creation of
social media for school, the concept of having information sent to you through
an app on school events is amazing. The fact that I can keep in touch with the
teachers without having to fix an appointment is double amazing. Note though,
this app is still only a communication medium. The key to all the messages sent
still has a human standing behind it. That human has to understand the
different dynamics of parents that are there. Let's start with working parents!
When the
'organisers' of school events consists of 'stay at home' mothers with no
thoughts for the working mothers, you pretty much get events organised meant
only for the 'stay at home' mothers.
Forget the part that
as a working mum, you're not able to make all the 'social' and well intentioned
'mingling' events with parents, when you finally do manage to set aside some
time to their school, the scenario usually goes like this.
1. What do I wear?
Work clothes….too formal. Home clothes….don't think they'll appreciate pyjamas.
Realised that I don't own any day time social gathering type clothes. Jeans it
is!
2. Traffic. It's
9am! Why is there traffic to school? Hasn't everyone reached work?
3. Bring Snacks. Was
I meant to bring a snack? Oh!....swerve off the highway and scout for a bakery.
It wasn't from my kitchen but they'll have to eat from someone else's kitchen
today!
4. 15mins late, you
head to the gate. Security looks at you at tells you that Grade 4 is the 'other'
gate on the 'other' side. (Why do I not know where my kid's class is by now?)
5. 1/2 hr late, you
stumble into class hoping that the perfume you sprayed still holds strong.
Wait….which one's the teacher?
6. Right, breath,
set down the plate for mini pizzas (ignoring it was a healthy snack list that
was given). Look around and then you scout the room. There are the popular
mothers, there are the ethnic non-english speaking ones, there are the
nerds….there's a woman standing by herself….I'll go say hi to her. Oh wait,
she's moving to the popular group.
And as if on cue,
they all stopped talking and stare.
I can't exactly
explain at 'which moment' I became the new girl in high school again.
So the day passed,
and I vaguely remember taking a deep breathe, having reminded myself I'm a grown
up woman now. It helped that the kids were giggling in delight when they saw me
and proudly told their teacher that I was their long lost mother. Finishing all
the niceties, I exited that school having felt I had just traveled to an
alternate universe and back.
This is one of the
trade-offs that come with being a working mother. You will never be part of
that 'it' group of mothers that make a social circle within the school.
So I changed my perspective. I came to that
school for the delight of my children, and removed the focus on trying to gel
with the school like I would with my work team. Think about it, if any of the
stay at home mums came randomly to my company, we'd probably also stand in our
own circles and stare at them too.
Have you ever felt
like the school doesn't cater for working parents?
Have you had any
funny experiences when you did manage to go to the school?


Comments
Post a Comment